Tuesday 19 December 2023

Rivers


I've spent ages with these river sections half-complete, trying to find an acceptable colour for the water.

Looking online one can find a variety of approaches to represent rivers on the Wargames table and all have their problems. The 'gold standard', I suppose, is sculpted terrain boards with rivers cut into the surface below 'ground level', the river bed realistically modelled (and coloured) then filled with clear or translucent resin, relying mainly on reflection to give a realistic water effect. As well as the usual terrain board problems of storage and lack of flexibility, this has the additional issues of dealing with resin and getting the levels to match. 

The alternative is having something to lay on top of the table - with the first obvious problem that rivers are not usually elevated above the surrounding countryside! 

The next issue is colour - with no depth of resin, you have to make a conscious choice of colour for the water. Every child knows that water is blue - except, of course, it isn't and the apparent colour depends on the viewing angle, what is being reflected, water depth and anything suspended in the water so it can be a medium blue, pale blue or grey from reflections of the sky; milky white from glacial sediment; dark green from reflected trees; pea green from algae or dark brown/green/grey from a clear view of the river bed. One thing real rivers don't look like is off-white with a light fitting in the middle so a perfectly reflective surface that just mirrors my dining room ceiling won't do.

In the end, and after a number of false starts, I went with the child's image of a blue river and mixed up a medium greenish blue from cheap craft paints. I wanted to fade this into my base earth colour at the edges and, after trying to do this by brushing and blending, gave up and used my air brush - in fact the household emulsion and cheap craft paints seemed to airbrush more reliably than the model paints I normally use!


To try to hide the fact that the river is sitting above table level, I made the banks quite wide with  a shallow angle leading up to the river banks. I built up the level with foamboard that I cut to give a fairly steep river bank and gentle lead-in angle, smoothed it off with repair plaster then finished with my usual figure and scenery basing process. 


At some point I'll have a go at a more Normandy-specific river - something narrow, shallow and with heavily vegetated banks. Maybe even take a 1km section of a real river and try to duplicate that but for now these will do. 



5 comments:

  1. You've been busy on the terrain front this year. These river sections look really nice. As you say, there is no ideal method of representing watercourses, and no ideal colour to paint them. But this is one of the more convincing options. When I get round to having a bash myself, my thinking is to experiment: make up sections in all sensible colours and then see which seems to come out best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Making multiple test sections to try out different colours is a very sensible idea - much better than my approach of painting multiple sections in the same colours, deciding it looked wrong, repainting them with something else and deciding that also looked wrong...

      Delete
  2. I think they look great, especially the high gloss finish which gives a nice reflection. I know the blue is 'wrong' but to me it fits in with the more stylised look of most wargaming terrain - and perfectly realistic scaled terrain is less flexible and harder to game over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob. Getting that balance between an over-stylised, excessively bright and clean look an an attempt to make our small scale models 'pop' at normal viewing distances v a literal realistic scale approach where all the colours merge and our little camouflaged soldiers disappear is the hard thing, I think.

      Delete
  3. Your post was awesome, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete