Thursday 14 October 2021

15mm WW2 German Company HQ and another platoon.

As I've previously written, I started my WW2 15mm collection back in the early 1990s. I'd like to think my painting has improved since then but I didn't want to discard the effort I'd put into painting those earlier figures so my plan was to do a minimal update to blend them in with newly painted figures as I expended and re-based my collection to suit new rules.  However the reality was that my colours then were so far off that most details needed re-doing and even the uniform shadow colour was a poor match so by the time I'd given them a wash of Army Painter strong tone, new mid-tones and highlights for the uniforms and all the details repainted, I don't think I saved any time at all. 

The officer, panzerfaust team and a few others are painted from bare metal whilst others, including the riflemen in the three squads are the refurbs. It should be obvious which was which from the faces. All the figures are from PeterPig.

The new figures, including the panzerfaust team above, were painted and varnished after the refurbed figures and didn't suffer the satin varnish drama of my previous German platoon. Although there is a bit of sheen in the photos, this isn't apparent on the models.

With two platoons done and a third well along, I thought I thought I'd better get a company command base done. As with my British infantry, this is three figures, including a radio, on a 30 mm square base.


I've tried various materials to represent aerials. Bristles from brushes - relatively in-scale but too fragile and too much variation. Very fine piano wire - too many puncture wounds and too much blood dripped onto the miniatures. I did briefly consider cat's whiskers but he is now hiding under the spare bed so this one uses fishing line. It looks way over-scale and a bit curved but it should be tough and safe.


I'm now most of the way through another platoon. After that I plan to do a couple of MG42s on tripods then I'll be back to the British 4 KSLI for another company and the carrier platoon. 5 platoons down, only another 11 to go, plus vehicles!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely looking finish on your late war Germans!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Iain. I’ve just finished another platoon and I’m getting rather bored with field grey. I’ve got sidetracked with some British vehicles but that’s another can of worms with Sherman variants. How I miss the freedom of uncertainty over exactly what Late Romans wore!

    ReplyDelete