Thursday 23 June 2016

French Crossbowmen - Aventuriers (3) first group finished

I have finally finished the first batch of crossbowmen.

I think replacing the crossbows and so having the weapons all more or less the same size allows these originally very different figures to work together well, apart from the very chunky Black Hat figures which are marginal - two of Sebastien Chabal's ancestors playing their part in the Italian Wars.




I am pleased with the detail of the replacement crossbows, all the fiddly work making the bows, strings and bolts seems worth it now. I was in Venice ago few weeks ago, looking round the Doge's palace armoury and the modified crossbows with a relatively slender, metal bow with a simple curve seem a better match for the 16th Century crossbows I saw there than were the disparate cast metal crossbows the figures originally came with.


I have another 12 of these to finish now, two more guns, another general and some mounted arquebusiers (which will also need a lot of Milliput modification to make them look like they are from the 1520s). After that, Gendarmes and Archers (the mounted lancers)...


5 comments:

  1. A huge amount of work changing the crossbows for 15mm figures but they look great. I can't paint white crosses like that in 25mm let alone 15mm. They work really well as figures for the early 16th century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely great stuff, in converting and painting and basing. A wonderful blog to, for inspiration on the 15mm Renaissance period, and agree with Oli, those crosses are sublime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic details on such small figures, can't say I noticed any figures being particularly chunky
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent conversion work, the effort has really paid off. Just discovered your blog and I shall follow with interest. Keep it up !

    Best regards

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind comments and, indeed for taking the trouble to leave any comments. To Oli, Chris and Stuart; I have been following and enjoying your blogs for some time so I hope you will be forgiving when you see how I have shamelessly stolen your ideas :-)

    Cheers,

    Nathan

    ReplyDelete