Saturday 26 September 2020

Romans on parade

With all four of the heavy infantry units (plus a unit of skirmishing archers) using my old 1980s Minifigs figures complete, as well as an Illyrian cavalry unit and general complete, I thought it was a good time to take stock of what I have completed so far and look forward to what remainins to be done.

So far I have painted 104 infantry and 19 cavalry. 

I have a unit of heavy cavalry on the painting tray at the moment. I'm going to do 12 figures (4 bases) initially then add another 2 bases later. Like the Illyrian cavalry, these will be a mix of Minifigs and Asgard.

After that is a unit of cataphracts with mostly Asgard riders on Minifigs horses. I have enough of these for 4 bases of 4 figures each. I also have some clibanarii - again a Minifigs / Asgard mix plus a couple of Gladiator Miniatures figures. At the moment I'm thinking of doing these as two bases of 4 to give the option of fielding a combined cataphract / clibanarii or I could do a full 4 base unit if I accepted only 3 figures per base (MeG recommends 4 for these).

The last cavalry unit to consider is a unit of horse archers. I have a few old Asgard figures for these but I'm not sure whether to use these or buy some of the much nicer and more varied ones from Legio Heroica. Either way, at least 8 and maybe 12 more cavalry to paint.

I also have some old figures for a sub-general and make some alternate bases for the legionaries to depict integral archers and expand a couple of legionary units and the archers to 8 bases but those are really at the back of the painting queue. 

The rest of the army will be modern Legio Heroica figures: two units of Auxillia Palatina, two more sub-generals and three Ballista. I'm scratch building a watch tower for the camp, with a Baueda hog roast on the side - I do like roast pork!

That adds up to atleast (ignoring the extras to expand units or give options) 55 infantry and 59 cavalry

Looking back it has taken 18 months to get to this half-way stage, albeit with some 1/1250 diversions, so unless I can pick up the pace, I can look forward to completion around the end of 2021!

4 comments:

  1. Impressive work, superb parade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you've done so far is ace! Maybe if you go for slightly simpler shields it might go faster?!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Iain. Happily I only have 20 or 30 shields left to hand paint - a unit of heavy cavalry, some for the command groups and a few extras / alternatives. At the moment my bigger problem is that other activities are getting in the way: I've hardly picked up a brush for a fortnight.

      Delete