Saturday 6 March 2021

More Late Romans on Parade

Now I have finished* all the units using the old Asgard and Minifigs figures, I thought it would be a good time to take stock and have a look at what I have done so far. 

[* "Finished" if you don't count the extras I'm planning to give the legionary units the option of having eight bases and/or integral bowmen and some clibanarii with bows and half-armoured horses that I may complete two extra bases with my existing cataphracts. Finished enough for a usable army, anyway!]







In total I have painted 108 infantry, 58 mounted figures and a couple of wild boars since January 2019. Not exactly a lightning fast pace!

To make this a usable army, I need two more 6-base infantry units and at least one more sub-general.

For the infantry, I  have gone for modern Legio Heroica figures with LBMS shield transfers. I'm part way through the first unit and, thanks to their mail only needing a dry brush with gunmetal and the shield transfers rather than laboriously painting all that un-historical leather armour and having to hand paint all the shields, this should go fairly quickly. I've also got three bolt throwers - also Legio Heroica. 

I bought a couple of mounted command groups from Legio Heroica too. They are nice figures but they look so different to the rest of my cavalry and generals that I might just scour the spare figures box for another sub-general or two.

All in all, that gives me 52 more infantry and 3 or 6 more mounted to paint for a usable army. My target is to have this done ready for a game as soon as the rules allow in the summer.


10 comments:

  1. Truly inspirational. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martin. I've taken a lot of inspiration and ideas from your blog. Not only that my little pot of talc is always at my side when painting - especially reds.

      Delete
  2. fabulous parade! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid resurrection of these old school figures, the whole army looks marvellous!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely mind blowing!
    Best regards
    Adrian in Germany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, i'm not alone in my big late roman army trip !! very nice one, congrats !

    ReplyDelete